Sunday, February 3, 2013

Week 5- My First Indoor Mountain Climbing Adventure


This week's entry will be relatively short because I just saw Beyonce perform at the Super Bowl half-time show and am now inspired to spend rest of my evening working out (didn't she look amazing??)

This week for my fun first I decided to try indoor mountain climbing:

The idea came from the workshop that I took a couple of weeks ago where we focused on staying in our bodies. The Teacher commented on how a woman in our class's activity of mountain climbing was a great way of being very present and fully in your body because you have to be very aware of all your body parts. I wasn't really trying to go hang off the side of a mountain, but I thought trying the indoor variety might be a fun work out. I also expected it to be easy because I do pole and am pretty good at climbing... Well........ Pole is easier.

I got there and was given these special shoes:


Then I was told by the super sweet girl (who has been outdoor mountain climbing since infancy) that I should be okay as a first-timer as long as I wasn't scared of heights. I stared at her and said, "Well, I'm actually scared of heights....." She said she'd be by me to help me down if I got scared and froze at the top....... I said it should be fine because it didn't look that high and I would have one of those ropes tied to my body anyhow right? At which point I was told that this was a "bouldering" place, which meant no rope and that instead I'd just have a "thick" mat. And by thick she meant this:

And really it felt a whole lot higher when you were actually climbing:


She kept following me around telling me to look for the "VB" climbing trails because those were for the very beginners.... I kept thinking, "Ummm... I'm going to need something lower tha VB!" LOL, so this week I found out that mountain climbing is NOT one of my talents. But I still had a lot of fun with this new experience.

I also did all this in the middle of trying to watch the Super Bowl. I don't usually watch football, but one of my good friends was actually playing in the Super Bowl! So this was the first time that I've actually been emotionally involved in a football game. And he won!!!!! It was his first ring, so that made me pretty happy today. :-) I'm still not a fan of football, but I'm always a fan of watching my friends achieve their dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment