Thursday, February 21, 2013

Week 8- My First Pan African Film Festival Experience


For this week's First, I decided to go to the Pan African Film Festival. I'm generally not much of a going to the movies person. This is my second time in a movie theater in the last.....4 years? I'm not even sure why, I just usually have things I'd rather do. BUT this event sounded like a lot of fun. Particularly closing night. Closing night consisted of the Los Angeles premiere of "Free Angela and All Political Prisoners," which is a documentary I really wanted to watch, a Q&A with Angela Davis, a red carpet beforehand, and the closing gala party afterward. Sounds like a fun evening, no? IT WAS!!!!


                                                        (Go watch it in theaters in April)


Me on the Red Carpet
 
 
(The producer-Jada Pinkett Smith, Angela Davis, and the director-Shola Lynch, on the Red Carpet)
 


First of all, the documentary was REALLY good. Angela Davis is one of the most courageous and beautiful women in American history. She is a baaaaaaad ass. I'm grateful they fought to make this movie and you should go watch it when it comes out in April if you'd like some inspiration. She constantly stood up for what she believed regardless of the consequences and in the film she talks about how 8 differnt countries offered her asylum, but she chose to not leave and stand trial out here in 1970, when the chances of getting a fair trial were.... Well it was miraculous that she won...... I was glued to the screen.

After the movie we got a little Q&A with Ms. Davis herself (I was in the 3rd row-Woo hoo!):

(Cool Pic)
 
 
(Answering Questions)
 
 
After the Q&A, there was an after-party that had an open bar and food. LOL, and I decided that the best use of my time at said party was to stalk Ms. Davis:
 

 
 
 
Overall, I had a great time and it was a great use of my evening. I think I like film festivals.
 
I'll close out the blog with this clip that I found on the Pan African Film Festival website of Jada speaking on the movie at the red carpet:
 
 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment