Saturday, January 5, 2013

Week 1- A New Year's Eve First


For my first week of fun firsts, I kicked off New Year's Eve with breaking the 30 year tradition of spending New Year's Eve with my family. For the first time ever, I decided to go out and spend New Year's Eve with friends:


We went to Kevin Hart's New Year's Eve Dinner at Katsuya and his New Year's show at Staples Center:

It was a pre-set (free dinner) with an open bar and an abundance of champagne on trays. I had a BLAST! On top of it being my first time spending NYE out with friends, it was my first time seeing Kevin Hart live. We laughed loudly right into 2013. I respected his "put your phones away and be present" rule during his show, so I don't have any pictures of his actual show. Here's him giving a toast at the dinner though:


And it just so happened that Too Short was seated right next to me at dinner, so it was my first time officially meeting him and having fun conversations with him:


I lived in a dorm for 4 years in college surrounded by Oakland people (I started getting confused and thinking I was from Oakland for awhile), so I was excited. And he was very nice and interesting.

So I brought in 2013 with surrounded by fun firsts! :-D I planned to stay home with my mom like always and then ON New Year's Eve one of my girls convinced me to come out instead. I love laughing and my mom insisted that I go enjoy the dinner and show. I opened up and asked for fun firsts so they started coming. I'm very grateful to Kitchie for convincing me to come out and to Claudia for very generously sharing her plus ones with us. I'm also grateful that I've become a much better receiver.

It was a perfect joy-filled start to 2013:



The Kevin Hart Dinner and Show on New Year's was my actual First for this week (or what I'm counting for my 52 week challenge), but now that I'm in that energy and noticing more, there were a few other firsts this week!

1) I got gel nail polish for the first time ever. And I LOVED it. I had held out because back when I used to get acrylic nails, sometimes they would do gel nails and the polish on those would not look great after a couple of days and I had assumed gel nail polish might be the same. I was wrong. My brother's girlfriend got me a gift card to a new salon so I went there and randomly decided to try the gel polish. Awesomeness #1: As soon as the machine turned off I was able to walk out and use my hands without chipping my nail polish (I have a tendency to chip before I leave the parking lot). Awesomeness #2: A week later my nail polish is still bright and shiny and has NOT chipped. Which is a bit of a miracle because since I'm a healer and am always spraying alcohol, my manicures tend to last about 3 days. I will stick to gel polish from now on.

2) I tried Rejuvelac for the first time. Bleh, was my first reaction. It tasted like tart yogurt water, but I feel like I'm already starting to acquire it. I first heard of Rejuvelac about a year and a half ago when I was reading Karyn Calabrese's Soak Your Nuts (raw food detox book). It's one of the staples of her every day diet and it's a raw food staple overall. She swears by it and if she swears by a drink, I'm down to try it (have you all ever seen Karyn? Google her. She does NOT look her age). In her book she describes how to make your own, but after I looked up the process on youtube, I decided to try it somewhere else first (the guy mentioned something about you have to be able to tell when it's gone bad while you're making it and I didn't feel qualified). Anyhow, I've seen it a few times at Mother's Market and this week I decided to reach for a bottle. Some people call it their source of energy and say it gives them life, so it sounded like something to try. I did feel full of energy for the rest of the night. I felt like going jogging at 10pm. So I had some more the next day despite not initially liking the taste.

3) I went to Rush Street restaurant/bar in Culver City for the first time. It was cool. It was also a first date.

4) I've been vegan for 10 days for the first time ever. Past attempts have only lasted 3 days.

5) I tried raw lasagna for the first time ever today. I'm a fan of raw food and raw food restaurants (Cafe Gratitude is my fave), but after an initial yucky experience with raw pizza, my experimenting with the raw equivalent of cooked dishes slowed down a bit. But this raw lasagna at 118 Degrees Community Cafe was really good:


The noodle layers are made of zuchinni, for the sauce we have tomatoes, and the ricotta is made of ground up macademian nuts and spices. Yum!!! I also had a huge green smoothie to go with it.

So that was my first week of fun firsts. For these blog entries, in the interest of updating regularly, I plan to keep it short and simple. But because I'm becoming more aware of all the new things I do every week, I wanted to include the other firsts I noticed.

Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment